1 consistent with or based on or using reason; "rational behavior"; "a process of rational inference"; "rational thought" [ant: irrational]
2 of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man" [syn: intellectual, noetic]
3 capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers; "rational numbers" [ant: irrational]
4 having its source in or being guided by the intellect (distinguished from experience or emotion); "a rational analysis"
- ră'sh(ə)nəl, /ˈræʃ(ə)nəl/, /"r
Rational may be:
- pertaining to rationality
- acting according to the philosophical principles of rationalism
- a mathematical term for certain numbers; the rational numbers
- A rational function, a mathematical function which can be written as the ratio of two polynomial functions.
- the software company Rational Software; now owned by IBM, and formerly Rational Software Corporation
- the most central paradigm of Rational-Emotive Therapy
- Rational, one of the four temperaments according to the Keirsey Temperament Sorter.
- A common misspelling of "rationale".
rational in German: Rational
rational in French: Rationnel
acceptable, admissible, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, all there, analytic, balanced, bright, calm, cardinal, cerebral, circumspect, clear-eyed, clearheaded, clearminded, cogent, commonsense, compos mentis, conceptive, conceptual, consequent, cool, coolheaded, credible, decimal, differential, digital, discriminating, discursive, down-to-earth, earthy, endopsychic, enlightened, even, everyday, exponential, figural, figurate, figurative, finite, fractional, hardheaded, healthy-minded, ideational, imaginary, impair, impossible, infinite, informed, integral, intellectual, intelligent, internal, irrational, judicious, just, justifiable, knowing, knowledgeable, legitimate, level-headed, levelheaded, logarithmic, logical, logometric, lucid, matter-of-fact, mental, mentally sound, negative, noetic, noological, normal, not so dumb, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, odd, of sound mind, ordinal, pair, philosophical, phrenic, plausible, positive, positivistic, possible, practical, practical-minded, pragmatic, prime, prudent, psychic, psychologic, radical, ratiocinative, ratiocinatory, real, realist, realistic, reasonable, reasoning, reciprocal, right, sane, sane-minded, scientific, scientistic, secular, sensible, sober, sober-minded, sophic, sound, sound-minded, sound-thinking, spiritual, stable, straight-thinking, strong-minded, subjective, submultiple, surd, thinking, together, transcendental, understanding, unideal, unidealistic, unromantic, unsentimental, well-argued, well-balanced, well-founded, well-grounded, wholesome, wise, worldly